In general, the outer layer of the skin will be replaced with the new skin at regular intervals as a part of natural healing process and to get rid of dead skin.
In certain cases, there may be some excessive peeling on the face, hands and other body parts which can be happened to the prolonged exposure of your skin to the sun’s harmful UV rays that damages your top layer.
However, people with dry skin are more prone to skin peeling than others. It results in scaly and inflamed areas of the skin along with itching, pain, and irritation.
Allergies, skin infections or rashes, weak immune system, extreme weather conditions, psoriasis, dermatitis, eczema, ringworm, cancer, side effects of chemicals or certain medications, etc. will trigger to peeling skin.
Don’t panic, it is not a serious health problem and it can go on its own. Also, there are many natural remedies that help you to speed up the healing process. Have a look at these natural remedies.
Home Remedies for Peeling Skin:
The best remedies for treating your peeling skin are listed below. Go through these remedies and follow them regularly to get rid of the problem.
Remedy – 1: (Aloe Vera)
Aloe vera is filled with many essential nutrients, enzymes and proteins along with moisturizing and soothing properties that help you in dealing with peeling skin. It also relieves your itching, irritation, and inflammation caused by skin peeling.
- Mix a little of vitamin E oil in 2 tablespoons of fresh aloe vera gel.
- Stir well and apply it on the peeling skin affected area.
- Let it air dry for few minutes and rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat the same 2 – 3 times daily.
Note: Or blend 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel and 1 peeled cucumber to make a smooth paste. Apply it on the skin and rinse off with warm water after 10 minutes. Repeat it once daily.
Remedy – 2: (Olive Oil)
Olive oil has essential fatty acids and vitamin E that nourishes your skin and locks the moisture to prevent dry skin. It has antioxidant, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that fight against the free radicals and germs causing skin problems and also soothes your skin to get rid of the irritation.
- Slightly warm some olive oil and apply it on the affected skin areas at night before bedtime.
- Massage it gently for few minutes to make oil penetrate deep into the skin.
- Leave it on for overnight and rinse off in the next morning.
- Continue doing the same process daily to get rid of the problem.
- Or mix enough olive oil in 2 tablespoons of salt to make it a thick paste. Use it as your body scrub for exfoliation to remove dead cells. Repeat twice a week till the skin heals.
- Or you can use warm organic coconut oil (or) almond oil (or) vitamin E oil application of the affected skin areas to get rid of the problem.
Remedy – 3: (Lemon and Sugar Scrub)
Lemon acts as a strong astringent and sugar is a natural scrub that exfoliates the skin to remove dead cells and thus reduce the peeling of the skin. This combination will soothe the irritated skin and heals your skin.
- Add 1 tablespoon each of honey and olive oil and juice of 1/2 a lemon in 1/2 cup of sugar.
- Stir well and apply this mix on the skin.
- Rub it gently in circular motion for few minutes and rinse off with cold water.
- Dry your skin and repeat the same for once or twice a week till you get rid of the peeling skin.
Remedy – 4: (Oatmeal Bath)
Oatmeal soothes the skin and reduces the itching, pain, and irritation that are associated with peeling skin. It also retains moisture to the skin to get control over this problem.
- Pour 1 cup of oatmeal into your bath tub which is filled with warm water.
- Stir well and soak in this water for about 30 minutes.
- Then rinse your body with normal water and dry it with a soft towel.
- Apply some gentle moisturizer on your body (especially on the peeling skin area).
- Repeat it daily at night before bedtime for best results.
Remedy – 5: (Milk)
Raw milk is effective in treating peeling skin. The proteins and lactic acid in milk will make it as a natural skin moisturizer and soothes your skin to reduce itching and irritation.
- Add 2 tablespoons of whole milk in 1 tablespoon of raw honey and stir well.
- Apply this mix on the affected skin areas and massage gently.
- Let it sit for about 10 – 15 minutes and wash the applied area with lukewarm water.
- Do the same process for once a week till your skin is healed completely.
Remedy – 6: (Yogurt)
Yogurt has enzymes, minerals, lactic acid and trace elements that help to treat peeling skin. it also acts as a deep moisturizer for dry skin.
- Add pulp of 1/2 a ripe banana to 2 tablespoons of yogurt and stir well.
- Apply it on the affected skin areas and rinse off with warm water after 15 – 30 minutes.
- Repeat it twice daily till you get complete relief from the peeling skin.
Note: Or mix 2 teaspoons of raw honey in 2 tablespoons of plain yogurt and apply it on the affected skin areas. Rinse off with warm water after it dries.
Tips and Precautions:
- Cucumber helps to heal itching and irritation along with hydrating and repairing the skin. Consume cucumber or apply its paste or juice on the affected skin and rinse off with warm water after 15 – 20 minutes.
- Mint has skin calming effect that moisturizes your skin and keeps it fresh and rejuvenated. Apply a fresh mint juice on the affected area at night before bedtime and rinse off in the next morning.
- Always remember to apply a light moisturizer on the affected areas of the skin regularly.
- Honey is a natural moisturizer that heals peeling skin and its symptoms. Mix 1 teaspoon each of turmeric powder, honey, and sandalwood powder and apply it on the affected skin. Rinse off with warm water after 30 – 45 minutes. Also, apply raw honey on the affected skin areas.
- Avoid taking hot showers and go with lukewarm bath to ease the pain and itching.
- Don’t scratch or try to peel the skin forcefully, as it worsens your problem and damages your skin.
- Wear sunscreen lotion while stepping out in the sun to protect your skin. Also, avoid direct exposure to the sun rays.
Remove your makeup while sleeping to get rid of skin damage.
- Drink plenty of water and consume a healthy nutritional diet to detoxify your skin and to reduce the effect of peeling skin.
- Consult your doctor for proper diagnose and treatment if you didn’t get any relief from peeling skin after 7 – 10 days.
Try these remedies and tips to speed up your skin healing process. Do you know any other methods for treating peeling skin? Then share it with us through the comments box.